One of the North Platte NRD’s goals is to protect and manage the natural resources of the District. The NRD feels one of the best ways to protect our natural resources is to get our constituents out in our natural spaces. Our photo contest is an excellent way to achieve that goal.
A couple of years ago, the NRD partnered with conservation groups to develop a recreation mapping application that allows individual see all the wonderful, outdoor experiences we have in this area. Feel free to use the mapping app as you explore our great outdoors.
The photo contest will have two entry periods. The first entry period starts on January 11, 2016, and ends at 12:00 am EST on June 30, 2016. This entry period will cover the winter and spring months. People are encouraged to go out and take pictures in different weather events, but please remember to do safely and with proper clothing and equipment.
The second entry period will begin 10:00 am EST on July 1, 2016, and ends at 12:00 EST on December 31, 2016. This entry period will cover the summer and fall months.
Awards will be given for each entry period. Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Photo Contest.
You can enter your photo submissions on the North Platte NRD Facebook Page. For those wishing to enter, but do not have a Facebook account, entries can be submitted to . Please include your name, address, and telephone number. Youth wishing to enter, include their name, grade, school, and telephone number with their entries. The pictures will be then placed on the NRD Facebook page.
There will be three different categories of participants:
- Youth: To qualify for the youth category, the participant must be under the age of 18, and must not turn 18 years old by the end of the contest ending December 31, 2016.
We have determined five entry categories:
- Landscapes: Illustrates the beauty of our natural spaces.
- Wildlife: Depicts any of the native wild animals in their natural habitat. Animals may not be domesticated.
- Plants: Depicts any of the flora that populates our natural spaces. Plants must be found at the site but could be either alive or dead.
- Family, People, Pets: Depicts people enjoying our natural spaces. Could include: people partaking in outdoor activities, pets, enjoying the scenery, and other outdoor-themed pictures.
- The Vote of the People Award: Certain number of pictures will be chosen to be voted on at the NRD’s Facebook page. The pictures chosen will not include the winners of each category, but are still amazing images that showcase and illustrate moments of life and its interaction with our natural world. The Vote of the People entries will be chosen and notified on July 14, 2015, and January 14, 2016, and they will be displayed on the NRD’s Facebook page. Voting will be open for one month, and the highest number of Likes will win The Vote of the People category for their group.
The contest will award first place prices to the professional, amateur, and youth winners in each entry categories (Landscapes; Wildlife; Plants; Family, People, Pets; and The Vote of the People Award). The awards are $200.00 for professionals, $150 for amateurs, and $50 for youth.
The NRD will notify the winner via the contact information provided at the time of entry. All judging decisions are final. Please do not contact us about the status of entries or judging.
The official rules have been updated as of 6/10/2016. To view a copy of the official rules of the North Platte NRD Photo Contest, please click here.
A Big Thanks to Our Partners
The NRD would like to thank the Gering Convention and Visitors Bureau, Platte River Basins Environments, the Star Herald, Scotts Bluff County Area Visitors Bureau, and others in helping with this contest.